THE country’s total caseload of firecracker-related injuries reached 25, up by 14 percent in the same period last year, the Department of Health said Tuesday.
According to the latest tally from the health department, there are currently 25 cases of firecracker-related injuries from December 21-27.
Of the total number of injuries, five news cases were recorded on Monday and Tuesday from 61 hospitals, the DOH said.
“Last year at this same time period, we had 22 cases. So our cases right now are 14 percent higher than that of last year,” DOH officer-in-charge Maria Rosario Vergeire said in a press briefing.
A total of 128 firework-related injuries were recorded in 2021.
Vergeire said those who were injured due to firecrackers are advised to immediately wash the wound in running water and soap and cover it with gauze or a clean cloth to prevent infection.
She also urged victims of firecracker-related injuries to visit the nearest primary healthcare facility to get their anti-tetanus shots.
The anti-tetanus shots are given for free, she said.
Earlier, the health official encouraged all Filipinos to avoid firecracker usage, and said they should “just bang their pots and pans or if they have drums at home instead of spending and lighting these fireworks.”
They could also just wear glow sticks for their “new year glow.”
President Marcos Jr. earlier advised local government units to designate a common area for the fireworks display.
The chief executive also said LGUs should set up fireworks displays for their constituents to prevent them from using dangerous firecrackers.
Meanwhile, the Philippine National Police released the list of firecrackers that are prohibited and banned for public use, sale, and manufacture.
- Five Star
- Lolo Thunder
- Giant Bawang
- Giant Whistle Bomb
- Atomic Bomb
- Goodbye Bading
- Large-sized Judas Belt
- Goodbye Philippines
- Goodbye Delima
- Bin Laden
- Hello Columbia
- Mother Rockets
- Goodbye Napoles
- Super Yolanda
- All overweight and oversized firecrackers and pyrotechnic devices products
- Other types of firecrackers with other brands/names are equivalent to those that are prohibited.
In 2017, former President Rodrigo Duterte issued Executive Order 28 to prohibit the use of firecrackers and other pyrotechnic devices.
Under the EO, the Philippine National Police was given the power to determine what types of fireworks and other pyrotechnic devices are prohibited.
The EO also gives the PNP the power to create the rules necessary to supervise and control the use of firecrackers.
DOH: don’t play with firecrackers on New Year’s eve
Banner Photo Credit: Unsplash