fbpx

Four-point line: A step forward or backward?

by Bryan Gadingan

Recently updated on September 15, 2024 02:39 pm

NOW that the four-point line is official, having made its debut during the Philippine Basketball Association’s (PBA) opening game day on Sunday, the bigger question is whether this move would benefit Philippine basketball.

One of the most significant modifications made by the PBA this Season 49 is the adoption of the four-point line, or the 27-foot arc from beyond the basket, which was used during last year’s All-Star game. 

Photo Courtesy: PBA Images

However, the gimmick elicited mixed reactions from the moment it was introduced by newly-elected PBA chairman Ricky Vargas until it was put into reality during this import-laden Governor’s Cup. 

Some believe that this will speed up the game by forcing a team to defend closely, while others believe that it is a significant step back from Gilas Pilipinas’ goal of leveling the playing field in international events.

Let’s talk about it

The four-point line is not new; the WNBA used it in an All-Star game in 2022, and the PBA used it for two consecutive All-Star games as well. However, concerns have arisen as it is now being used at a competitive level. 

Indeed, it is groundbreaking and will undoubtedly shake the game in ways that fans and players have never seen before. However, the addition of a four-point line serves a function other than increasing spectator excitement. 

Defensive techniques that were previously used will have to undergo significant changes, as the floor spacing will now be wider than it has ever been, indicating that tacticians will be pushed to counter it.

“Ang feeling ko diyan bibilis ang laro and mahihirapan kang maglaro ng zone, kasi if they can shoot that far, you have to extend the zone. Basically, mag-ma-man-to-man lahat (ng teams),” says Alfrancis Chua.

Photo Courtesy: PBA Images

Avoiding a four-point basket, teams will now be obliged to defend from far outside or play man-to-man defense for the duration of the game, as opposed to traditional zone defense, in which defenders often stay inside the three-point line. 

The addition of a four-point line signals that there will be no safe lead in the league, as a and-one play from the four-point line provides a sharpshooter with a huge five-point play opportunity. 

Aside from technicalities, coaches are still debating whether to endorse the change or continue to express their worries about the league and the future of Philippine basketball, feeling that it will not benefit Gilas Pilipinas.

Coaches’ standpoint

In separate interviews, coaches from many PBA clubs voiced differing perspectives on whether this will have a bad or beneficial impact on the league, given its globally competitive nature. 

Tim Cone, the Gilas Pilipinas head coach, has stated that he does not support this decision and believes it would have been preferable if it had remained in the All-Star games solely.

“I’m not a fan (of the four-point shot). In my honest opinion, I think it’s great for All-Star Games where it’s all fun and games, but not for serious basketball,” says Cone.

Photo Courtesy: PBA Images

Yeng Guiao, another seasoned strategist from Rain or Shine, expressed dismay that coaches were not consulted on the change and is also opposed to it.

“Sinubukan mo lang [ang four-point shot] sa isang All-Star Game,” said Guiao. “You don’t base decisions like that on one game. Sana sinubukan muna sa D-League, and if it worked then dalhin natin sa PBA.”

Phoenix Fuel Masters head coach Jamike Jarin believes that this decision is a step away from following FIBA standards, but he appreciates the league’s efforts to make the game more exciting for people to watch.

“Before the start of the season last year, I was part of the coaches that didn’t want the players calling timeout anymore (during a live possession). I was part of that,” says Jarin on his stand on helping national team to prepare.

“Because we are preparing for the FIBA games, the World Cup, the Olympics. Because in FIBA, there’s no such thing. It’s the ultimate, make it to the Olympics, make it to the World Cup, which is everybody’s dream. Let’s see what happens.” 

Nonetheless, whether you support it or not, the four-point line is currently in place. The only thing everyone can do is hope that these modifications will enable the Gilas Pilipinas advance to the FIBA windows.

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

Average rating 0 / 5. Vote count: 0

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.

As you found this post useful...

Follow us on social media!

We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!

Let us improve this post!

Tell us how we can improve this post?

Dive deeper into the issues that affect your community. Follow republicasia on FacebookTwitter and Instagram for in-depth analysis, fresh perspectives, and the stories that shape your daily life.