THE Quiapo Church and Manila Police District issued the schedule of road closures and the “Walk of Faith” route for the upcoming Feast of the Black Nazarene.
In a media conference, MPD Director Brig. Gen. Andre Dizon said several roads in the city of Manila would be closed starting January 6 in light of the “Walk of Faith” procession.
The following roads will be closed from 10 p.m. onwards:
January 6, 2023 from 10:00 PM onwards (Quirino Grandstand)
- Stretch of Katigbak Drive
- Stretch of Independence Road
- Stretch of South Drive
- Northbound and Southbound lane of Roxas Blvd. from South Drive to Katigbak Drive
January 8, 2023 from 12:01 AM onwards (Quiapo Church)
- Northbound and Southbound lane of Quezon Blvd. from A. Mendoza/Fugoso to Quezon Bridge straight to P. Burgos (Park N’ Ride)
- Westbound and Eastbound lane of España Blvd from P. Campa to A. Mendoza.
- Stretch of Evangelista St. from Plaza San Juan to C.M. Recto Ave.
- Stretch of Raon St. from Evangelista to Quezon Blvd.
- Stretch of P. Paterno St. from Quezon Blvd. to Evangelista
- Stretch of Carriedo St. from Rizal Ave. to Plaza San Juan
- Stretch of C. Palanca St. from McArthur Bridge to Quiapo Ilalim (Quinta Market) straight to P. Casal
- Stretch of Bustos St. from Plaza Sta. Cruz to Rizal Ave.
- Northbound lane of Rizal Ave. from Carriedo to C.M. Recto Ave.
- Northbound lane of McArthur Bridge
The MPD has offered the following roads instead:
- All Trucks and Trailer Trucks coming from Delpan Bridge shall turn around at Anda Circle to the northbound lane of Mel Lopez Blvd. to C-3 to point of destination. (Old Truck Route)
- All light vehicles coming from Bonifacio Drive intending to utilize the southbound lane of Roxas Blvd. shall turn left P. Burgos, right Ma. Orosa, right to TM. Kalaw, left to MH. Del Pilar or left to Roxas Blvd. Southbound to the point of destination.
- Light vehicles intending to utilize the northbound lane of Roxas Blvd. shall turn right to TM Kalaw, then turn left to Ma. Orosa, left to P. Burgos to point of destination.
- All trucks and trailer trucks intending to utilize the northbound lane of Roxas Boulevard shall turn right to Quirino Avenue to Plaza Dilao to point of destination.
- All vehicles coming from McArthur and Jones Bridge intending to utilize the southbound lane of Roxas Blvd. from P. Burgos shall take Round Table, then to Ma. Orosa or use Taft Avenue to point to a destination.
- All Vehicles intending to utilize Quezon Blvd coming from A. Mendoza shall turn right to Fugoso St., left to Rizal Ave. or Severino Reyes St. to the point of destination.
- All Vehicles coming from Quezon City utilizing westbound lane of España Blvd. shall turn left to Tomas Mapua St. (Morayta), turn right to C.M. Recto Ave. or turn right to P Campa St., to Fugoso St. to point of destination.
- Vehicles coming from P. Burgos Ave. intending to utilize Quezon Bridge or McArthur Bridge shall go straight to Jones Bridge to point of destination.
- Vehicles coming from Ayala Bridge intending to utilize Palanca St. shall go straight to P. Casal St. to point of destination.
Nazareno 2023 adviser Alex Irasga also released the route for this year’s “Walk of Faith” procession.
Aside from the “Walk of Faith” procession, Quiapo Church officials said prayer stations will also be installed around Quiapo to reduce the number of devotees going on the “Walk of Faith” procession.
This is the third consecutive year that the traditional “Traslacion” was suspended due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Officials likewise suspended the “Pahalik” to avoid the spread of bodily fluids during the activity.
Quiapo Church officials replaced the “pahalik” with “pagpupugay” where devotees are only allowed to touch and wipe the image of Black Nazarene.
Pagpupugay will run from January 7 to 10, Quiapo officials said.
DECODE: Dos and Don’ts on Nazareno 2023
Security measures tighten for Nazareno 2023
Pagdalaw replaces ‘Traslacion’ in 2023
Banner Photo Credit: Glendale Lapastora