AFTER a week of social media buzz, Cynthia Carrion, President of the Gymnastics Association of the Philippines (GAP), apologized to the trio of female gymnasts for missing the August 14 homecoming parade.
During the Heroes’ Grand Homecoming Parade, which included practically all of the Filipino Olympians, the historic trio gymnasts of Levi Ruivivar, Aleah Finnegan, and Emma Malabuyo were absent.
Filipino fans were perplexed as to why certain athletes were unable to attend the parade, given how anxious the community was to express their gratitude, prompting Ruivivar to end the chat.
What happened?
In an Instagram post, the Filipino gymnast detailed her conversation with the GAP president. She also expressed her surprise as to why they had not been invited.
“I wanted to come on here and address the questions regarding my absence at the Heroes event in the Philippines,” said Ruivivar on her Intagram post.
“I truly wish from the bottom of my heart that I could have attended and been part of this event, but unfortunately I was never informed that I was invited or presented with the opportunity to go.”
The star gymnast then gave her side of the tale about what happened in the days following the Olympics. Telling the netizens that she was told the celebration was just for the medalists.
“I received a message stating that it was only for medalists, Carlos and the two bronze medalists, the boxers. I responded inquiring if that was in fact correct because I had heard all Olympians were invited,”
“I never received a response or any further information. The following week I was surprised when I saw all Filipino Olympians, except for me, Aleah, and Emma in Manila participating in a meeting with President BongBong Marcos and participating in a parade.”
Ruivivar then voiced her disappointment at losing out on a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to participate in the celebration of the Philippine Centennial Team’s Olympic victory.
She also stated that she had no prior commitments that would have prevented her from joining everyone in the celebration, but she was grateful for the support she received from Filipinos, as well as all of the other Olympic athletes.
Carrion’s Clarification
Carrion held a press conference to update everyone on what happened before the celebrations began. She expresses her uncertainty about what will happen after they get in the nation.
“I’m sorry we did not get advise, earlier advises about you. You should have joined all our events. You should have been there. You are Olympians but me, we ourselves, we didn’t know about it,” Carrion said.
“You would’ve known about it if we knew about it. So I’m telling you right now, you would’ve known about it. Like now Senate gave us the letter way way advance so we know you’re all invited.”
“Had I known of course I would be so proud of them having to be with me. Not only one, I will have four. Why not? If we had known earlier, if all of us have known earlier we would tell them to come because they’re coming anyway,” insisted Carrion.
Nonetheless, Ruivivar confirmed in her most recent Instagram post that she is already on her way to the country. Sharing her excitement to visit everyone and make this goal a reality.
How useful was this post?
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating 0 / 5. Vote count: 0
No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?