Close this search box.

Philippines surpasses tourist arrival target for 2023

by Carl Santos

THE Philippines has already exceeded its international visitor arrival target for 2023.

According to Tourism Secretary Christina Frasco, the country welcomed 4,822,530 tourists as of November 27, surpassing this year’s target of 4.8 million. Earnings have also reached P404 billion.

Foreign tourists comprise the bulk of arrivals at 91.88 percent or 4,430,725, while the remaining 8.12 percent or 391,805 are returning overseas Filipinos. 

South Korea is the country’s top source market for foreign arrivals, with 1,271,602 tourists or 26.37 percent of the total, followed by the United States with 797,181 (16.53 percent), Japan with 272,735 (5.66 percent), China with 242,107 (5.02 percent), and Australia with 225,464 (4.68 percent).

Frasco said the liberalization of visa policies, the building of tourist rest areas, the establishment of the multi-platform tourist call center, the construction of tourism roads, the development of cruise, education, medical, gastronomy, and sports tourism, the expansion of dive tourism, and heritage and cultural tourism caravans contributed to the achievement.

Moving forward, Frasco said the Philippines aims to position itself as a global hub for sports tourism, including golf.

She called for cooperation between the public and private sectors in order for the Philippines to benefit from the lucrative golf industry.

Currently, the Philippines has over 100 golf courses.

The Department of Tourism has been using the ”Love the Philippines” campaign since June to promote the country as a tourist destination in Asia, despite the controversy surrounding the rebranding strategy.

In July, the DOT terminated its contract with DDB Philippines, the ad agency behind the campaign, after it admitted to using foreign stock footage in a promotional video that was criticized by netizens.



We have the stories you’ll want to read.

RepublicAsia Newsletter