THE Movie and Television Review and Classification Board (MTRCB) has stood by its decision to suspend It’s Showtime.
The MTRCB denied on Thursday the motion for reconsideration filed by ABS-CBN Corporation and GMA Network, Inc. seeking to stop the 12-day airing suspension of the noontime variety show.
The censors board had ordered the suspension of It’s Showtime due to the multiple complaints from viewers over hosts Vice Ganda and Ion Perez’s alleged “indecent manner” during the “Isip Bata” segment of the show’s July 25 episode.
“Said MRs sought relief from the Board’s ruling dated 17 August 2023, regarding the July 25, 2023 episode of the live noontime program ‘It’s Showtime!’ Specifically, during the show’s ‘Isip Bata’ segment in which hosts Ryan Bang, Vice Ganda, and Ion Perez allegedly acted indecently or inappropriately in the presence of children, which is alleged to have violated Section 3 of Presidential Decree and its Implementing Rules and Regulations,” the MTRCB said in a statement.
“In view of which, the Board’s Decision dated 17 August 2023 is affirmed,” it added.
While the MTRCB stood by its decision, It’s Showtime can still appeal the decision before the Office of the President (OP) within 15 days.
The two media giants have yet to respond to the MTRCB’S decision, but the Kapamilya network previously defended It’s Showtime and said that “there was no violation of pertinent law.”
Executives team up
Prior to the release of the MTRCB’s statement, GMA Senior Vice President for Programming, Talent Management, Worldwide, and Support Group Annette Gozon-Valdes and ABS-CBN COO for Broadcast Cory Vidanes made an appearance in the September 28 episode of It’s Showtime.
The two executives joined It’s Showtime hosts during the show’s opening, where they greeted viewers with “What’s up, Madlang People” and “What’s up, Madlang Kapuso” lines.
It’s Showtime officially debuted on GMA’s second free-to-air channel GTV in July. Since the historic move, Kapuso stars have been appearing in the Kapamilya show.