THE prices of red onions in selected public markets in Metro Manila have reached up to P700 per kilo, the Department of Agriculture reported.
According to DA’s latest monitoring of 13 public markets in Metro Manila, local red onion prices have increased to P520 to P720 per kilo. The New Las Piñas City Public Market saw the highest increase as prices there range from P700-P720.
Meanwhile, the DA said prices of local white onions currently stand at P600.
A local market vendor in the Visayas Avenue Wet and Dry Market said the sellers expect prices to spike further in the next few days, but they are uncertain by how much. The retail price of red onions in the Visayas Avenue Wet and Dry Market is at P10 per piece and P600 per kilo, the vendor told republicasia.
DA deputy spokesperson Rex Estoperez said in a briefing Tuesday that despite the soaring prices of red onions, the agency was not considering the importation of onions to beef up supply in the country.
Farmers are expected to begin harvesting onions in January and February.
But Estoperez also said that though the harvest season onion would begin soon, there is currently no estimate of the number that would be produced due to previous typhoons that have ravaged the country.
Some groups have been calling on the government to bring in an additional supply of onions in order to bring down prices in the market.
The agriculture department said it is working on “interventions and resiliency” to address the issue. Its actions include logistical support, transportation for the commodity, cold storage, and even packaging.
Here’s the updated list of local red onions according to the latest monitoring of DA:
- New Las Piñas City Public Market – P700–P720
- Guadalupe Public Market/Makati – P550–P650
- San Andres Market/Manila – P600–P620
- Quinta Market/Manila – P650
- Pritil Market/Manila – 600–P670
- Marikina Public Market – P600–P680
- Pamilihang Lungsod ng Muntinlupa – P500–P580
- Pasay City Market – P520–P550
- Pasig City Mega Market – P550–P600
- Commonwealth Market/Quezon City – P560–P600
- Muñoz Market/Quezon City – P500–P580
- Mega Q-mart/Quezon City – P550–P600
- Malabon Central Market – P580–P700