MANILA City Mayor Honey Lacuna ordered the suspension of classes and government work on January 9 and a liquor ban in the city from January 7 to 9 in line with the celebration of the Feast of the Black Nazarene.
Under Executive Order No. 1, released to the public Wednesday, Lacuna ordered the suspension of work on January 9 for all city government officials in all departments, offices, and bureaus in the City Government of Manila.
But work will continue for those involved in frontline services which include peace and order, public services, traffic enforcement, disaster and risk reduction management, and health, the order read.
It is also ordered that classes at all levels in Manila City for both public and private schools, whether online or in-person, be suspended on the said date.
Suspension of work in national government offices and private companies holding office in the city is left to the discretion of their management, it said.
In a separate EO, Lacuna likewise ordered a liquor ban in the city from January 7 to 9 since devotees began to flock to the city to participate in the activities intended for the feast.
To maintain peace and order during the celebration, Lacuna said, “it is necessary to prohibit the sale of liquor and other alcoholic beverages within the Quiapo area, particularly in all barangays within the parish of the Minor Basilica of the Black Nazarene.”
Under EO No. 2, the public is barred from drinking liquor and other alcoholic beverages surrounding the Quiapo area, particularly in all barangays within the Minor Basilica of the Black Nazarene.
The following roads will be closed from 10 p.m. onwards:
January 6, 2023 from 10:00 PM onwards (Quirino Grandstand)
- Stretch of Katigbak Drive
- Stretch of Independence Road
- Stretch of South Drive
- Northbound and Southbound lane of Roxas Blvd. from South Drive to Katigbak Drive
January 8, 2023 from 12:01 AM onwards (Quiapo Church)
- Northbound and Southbound lane of Quezon Blvd. from A. Mendoza/Fugoso to Quezon Bridge straight to P. Burgos (Park N’ Ride)
- Westbound and Eastbound lane of España Blvd from P. Campa to A. Mendoza.
- Stretch of Evangelista St. from Plaza San Juan to C.M. Recto Ave.
- Stretch of Raon St. from Evangelista to Quezon Blvd.
- Stretch of P. Paterno St. from Quezon Blvd. to Evangelista
- Stretch of Carriedo St. from Rizal Ave. to Plaza San Juan
- Stretch of C. Palanca St. from McArthur Bridge to Quiapo Ilalim (Quinta Market) straight to P. Casal
- Stretch of Bustos St. from Plaza Sta. Cruz to Rizal Ave.
- Northbound lane of Rizal Ave. from Carriedo to C.M. Recto Ave.
- Northbound lane of McArthur Bridge
The MPD has offered the following roads instead:
- All Trucks and Trailer Trucks coming from Delpan Bridge shall turn around at Anda Circle to the northbound lane of Mel Lopez Blvd. to C-3 to point of destination. (Old Truck Route)
- All light vehicles coming from Bonifacio Drive intending to utilize the southbound lane of Roxas Blvd. shall turn left P. Burgos, right Ma. Orosa, right to TM. Kalaw, left to MH. Del Pilar or left to Roxas Blvd. Southbound to the point of destination.
- Light vehicles intending to utilize the northbound lane of Roxas Blvd. shall turn right to TM Kalaw, then turn left to Ma. Orosa, left to P. Burgos to the point of destination.
- All trucks and trailer trucks intending to utilize the northbound lane of Roxas Boulevard shall turn right to Quirino Avenue to Plaza Dilao to point of destination.
- All vehicles coming from McArthur and Jones Bridge intending to utilize the southbound lane of Roxas Blvd. from P. Burgos shall take Round Table, then to Ma. Orosa or use Taft Avenue to point to a destination.
- All Vehicles intending to utilize Quezon Blvd coming from A. Mendoza shall turn right to Fugoso St., left to Rizal Ave. or Severino Reyes St. to the point of destination.
- All Vehicles coming from Quezon City using the westbound lane of España Blvd. shall turn left to Tomas Mapua St. (Morayta), turn right to C.M. Recto Ave. or turn right to P Campa St., to Fugoso St. to point of destination.
- Vehicles coming from P. Burgos Ave. intending to utilize Quezon Bridge or McArthur Bridge shall go straight to Jones Bridge to the point of destination.
- Vehicles coming from Ayala Bridge intending to utilize Palanca St. shall go straight to P. Casal St. to point of destination.
Schedule of activities for Nazareno 2023
Manila roads closed for Nazareno 2023
DECODE: Dos and Don’ts on Nazareno 2023
Security measures tighten for Nazareno 2023
Pagdalaw replaces ‘Traslacion’ in 2023
Banner Photo Credit: Judgefloro