THE most beautiful day in the universe will happen today.
Some 84 beautiful women from all over the world are vying to win the Miss Universe 2022 in New Orleans, Louisiana, USA.
The coronation night of the 71st edition of Miss Universe is set on January 14, 2023 (January 15 in the Philippines) at the Ernest N. Morial Convention Center Louisiana.
Celeste Cortesi, the country’s bet for the competition, is eyeing to secure the Philippines’ fifth Miss Universe crown.
Harnaaz Sandhu of India will crown the successor after the event.
Here’s what you need to know about this year’s edition:
Where to watch?
Filipino fans can watch the live pageant through the following streaming platforms starting at 9 a.m. on January 15: Kapamilya Channel, Metro Channel, iWantTFC, and A2Z Channel 11
ABS-CBN will also air a same-day rerun of the competition at 10:30 p.m. via Kapamilya Channel, Metro Channel, iWantTFC, and A2Z Channel 11,
The hosts of the pageant finale will be Miss Universe 2012 Olivia Culpo and TV personality Jeannie Mai Jenkins, while the backstage commentators will be Miss Universe 2018 Catriona Gray and actress Zuri Hall.
This year’s pageant marks the first time in five years that the pageant won’t be hosted by Steve Harvey, who notoriously revealed the wrong winner in 2015.
For this edition, the Miss Universe Organization made several adjustments to the format.
At first, pageant fans and experts assumed that there would be 20 semi-finalists anew, the same number of semi-finalist contenders as in 2018. But the number of semi-finalists was eventually lowered to 16.
The 16 semi-finalists who will move on to the first cut will be chosen in accordance with the results of the preliminary competition held last January 12.
The top 16 will compete in both the evening gown and swimsuit contests before being reduced to the top 5, then top 3, and the winner. For the first time in the pageant’s history, the number of contestants will be brought down from 16 to 5.
The Miss Universe organization presented the selection committee for the forthcoming 71st edition of the Miss Universe pageant, with one of them joined by a Filipina entrepreneur.
Here are the judges for this year’s edition:
- Ximena Navarrete – Miss Universe 2010 from Mexico
- Big Freedia – American rapper and performer credited with helping popularize bounce music
- Mara Martin – American model
- Wendy Fitzwilliam – Miss Universe 1998 from Trinidad and Tobago
- Emily Austin – American actress, sports journalist, model, and social media influencer
- Olivia Quido – Filipino-Chinese CEO and founder of O Skin Med Spa
- Myrka Dellanos – American television and radio host, journalist, author, and socialite.
- Sweta Patel – Indian author, member of the Forbes Council, and founder of Healveda Inc.
- Olivia Jordan – Miss USA 2015, actress, and model
- Kathleen Ventrella – ImpactWayv Chief Marketing Officer
Banner Photo Credit: Miss Universe Organization